Thursday, December 27, 2007

WHO'S FAT

Three weeks ago I had an appointment with my doctor for a total checkup. Body mass, blood tests, fitness, stress and a couple of other tests that are better left between me and him...if you know what I mean. Today I went back for the 30 page report that he had created to inform me on what is going great and what needs some tweaking. Fortunately most is fantastic and I am a fine speciman of Australian manhood. This check up is all about prevention because as we were all told as kids, prevention is better than cure.
Today for lunch I met with friends of mine who pastor a great church in a country town called Kempsey and we were talking about how many of our friends who started off with a fire for God and were at some time working in a full time capacity, sadly many now had left their spouses, walked away from the church, grown bitter, fallen sexually or just become tired in the race.
If prevention is better than cure, if we really believe that, then why don't we allow our lives to be a little more transparent? Why cant we take a risk and open our inner world of thoughts and struggles to people that we trust? Is that the problem...trust? Insecurity and rejection are never far away from each of us..it stalks us because it likes us.
One of the characteristics of leaders in this generation is their openness and vulnerability, they aren't afraid of admitting their own issues. Not from a "I'm a loser your a loser so lets lose together", attitude, but from the strength that comes from confronting our inner demons with faith and allowing Gods searchlight through accountability with TRUSTWORTHY people to keep us in the zone. So come on take a risk prevention really is better than cure.

No comments: