Thursday, August 21, 2008

5 Days to go

5 days is all we have left until we head off on the Kokoda Trek. Its right about now that I am starting to feel a few "what ifs" congregating in my head. A couple of us powered a hike up a part of the Kokoda Challenge course yesterday and all went well although I feel a little flat today. The whole purpose is to raise money for a local special school and a rescue home for girls in Cambodia. So far we have about $15,000 raised which excites me more than anything else.

1 Tim. 6:18 (NLT) Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give generously to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them.

I love this verse. In a day and age where most people are driven by discontent this verse gives us an inside of how to not get caught in the trap of more.
Generosity is whats bridles our discontentment.
Doing something that costs me physically, financially, emotionally is how we keep the drive to gather more at bay.
Remember there is no joy in consumption

2 comments:

Jane said...

Dear Ross. My name's Jane and I have a comprehensive google news alert set up for "kokoda' so get emailed ecah time something new goes ont he net that mentions "kokoda". I saw your blog and thought I must message you to wish you well, my support, courage and confidence. I am trekking Kokoda leaving Sydney Sep 13 as part of a work leadership program. I'm pretty unfit but want to challenge myself and do something significant that will make me stronger and that I can be proud of (I;'ve had a few personal strugglues of late including the death of my beloved father who was integral in helping me through the tough times)and to honour my grandfather Frank Higgs who served with distinction in the Army during the World War, was Deputy Assistant Adjutant General of Western Command in 1940 and an original member of the 2/10 Armoured Regiment before serving with 6 Brigade, 9 Division HQ and 2/28 Battalion in New Guinea – on the Kokoda - and Borneo. With Dad going to heaven quickly - he was diagnosed with cancer and 6 weeks later he was gone - and still battling other personal demons without him - this prayer has helped me very much: God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
I am happy that Dad had such a wonderful life and that i had such a wonderful Dad and that one day I'll see him again in heaven.
The four pillars of the Kokoda spirit are mateship, endurance, sacrifice and courage. I wish you all of them (I suppose this is a bit of mateship). God bless. i hope you have a wonderful journey and that your experiences will enhance what you do to help others. Take care.

Ross Abraham said...

Thanks Jane I have no doubt that you are on the right pathway to getting yourself healthy in your heart as well as the body. You have had a tough time but doing something like Kokoda is the best medicine. Well Done. We get back on the 5th so I will leave a post to let everyone know how it was.
Ross