Tuesday, April 14, 2009

NO!

2 Cor. 12:7 (NIV)
To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

The great thing about this verse is that no one knows what Paul's "thorn" was. Some say epilepsy, some say a speech impediment, some say an eye disease, I say his thorn was baldness that way I can relate with him. I think the bible doesn't tell us what it was because God knew that we would build a theology around it.

2 Cor. 12:8 (NIV)
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.


This doesn’t mean Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
This is 3 seasons in his life he has spent extended time pleading with God, fasting, in extra prayer, crying out to God to get free from whatever was tormenting him.
There was a period of time when Paul seemingly wasn’t getting answers. Now this should encourage some of you because you are in a season where not a lot is happening in your life.
And you have been wondering if God even knows your name, and God’s silence has been mistaken for His absence.
After 3 times pleading with God with all that faith and confidence with God there is no answer.

2 Cor. 12:9 (NIV)
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

You mean you aren't taking it away? And God gives the response that none of us like. NO!
Grace in this context is the strength and ability to endure.

Your greatest weakness is God’s greatest opportunity to show Himself strong in you.
I sat in hospital yesterday with a good friend who has some serious health challenges. We have prayed, anointed him with oil, read scripture and all else us good Pentecostals know to do. He is still in hospital. This is one of those moments that Paul is talking about.
God doesn't always deliver us from our circumstances however He will always deliver us through our circumstances.
A lot of people when God says no simply walk away or they shake their fist at God with anger and disappointment and they miss out on the grace of God to endure. They never see God's strength stepping into lifes struggles.
So how will you respond when God say's NO?

No comments: